Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Reunions

I recently received in the mail an invitation to attend my ten year high school reunion. I will not be attending, however. Why?

Well, what are the possible reasons to go to a high school reunion? As far as I can tell there are only three: to find out what happened to those you once knew, impress others with your success (real or imaginary), and to meet Mr. or Mrs. Right-Now.

Well, I happen to be happily married, so there's no reason for me to go looking for a prospective mate.

As far as catching up with friends and aquaintences - I was a social outcast in school. I could count my friends on one hand and have fingers left over. My one, good friend since elementary school I'm still friends with, and we hang out twice or more a month. He was also a grade behind me as he is also a year younger.

Actually I did a lot of hanging out with the younger crowd, mainly because my own grade-level peers ostrasized me daily. The people I went to Elementary school with forgot who I was, and the rest either ignored me or tried to see how much pain they could cause before I started crying. For me, High School was a daily hell that I did my best to survive. Why would I want to find out what happened to those people?

And then there would be the chance to impress. Who do I have to impress? I'm happy where I am, I don't need to lord my modest successes over anyone. One of the greatest nuggets of wisdom my father ever gave me was that there are only two opinions that matter in this world - yours and the opinion of the ones you love.

And I will find no love at that reunion.

No comments: